Apply for a Heka apartment that is becoming available or look for a partner to exchange apartments with.
At some point, it may become necessary to move from your current apartment to another one that meets the needs related to your changed life situation in terms of its size, equipment or location. You can apply for a switch to a Heka apartment that is becoming available or look for a partner to exchange apartments with.
Rental apartment search selects the tenants
Rental apartment search, the housing agency of the City of Helsinki’s housing services, selects the tenants for Heka apartments. Tenants applying for a switch from one Heka apartment to another must also submit their apartment change applications to Rental apartment search.
Heka’s regional offices no longer process apartment change applications or make decisions on apartment changes. Income limits are no longer applied to Heka apartments, but the applicants’ income continues to affect the means-testing that guides the selection of tenants.
Requirements for changing apartments
If your housing needs have changed and you have lived in a Heka apartment for at least a year, you can apply for a switch to another apartment.
- You have a justified need to change apartments. You can apply for a change of apartments on account of a change in family size, financial difficulties or health reasons.
- You are a main tenant. Before applying for a change, you must have lived in your current Heka apartment for at least a year. The period of residence is calculated from the start date of the rental agreement.
- You have a rental agreement for a Heka apartment that is valid until further notice.
- You have not been warned in writing about violating the rules of conduct or leading a disruptive lifestyle in your apartment within the last year.
- You do not have any unpaid rent.
- The lessor has no other financial claims against you.
- There are no complaints about the condition of your apartment.
The income of apartment switchers is checked. There are no income limits for changing apartments, but the tenant’s income affects the means-testing that guides the selection of tenants. Income does not affect apartment exchanges between tenants.
The wealth limits that apply to apartment seekers do not apply to apartment switchers.
If you want to change apartments within Heka, follow these instructions
- You can apply directly to Rental apartment search for a switch to a Heka apartment that is becoming available.
- You can look for another apartment or exchange partner through the Apartment Exchange Market. If you find a partner to exchange apartments with, please submit an application to Rental apartment search for an approval for the exchange.
You can also apply directly to Rental apartment search for a switch to a Heka apartment that is becoming available while simultaneously looking for an exchange partner through the Apartment Exchange Market. Your application is valid for three months at a time, and you can renew your application if your need to change apartments continues. If you cannot use the online services, you can also apply for a change of apartments by visiting the customer service point of Rental apartment search in Kalasatama, at Työpajankatu 8.
Order a building manager’s statement once you have received a tentative housing offer
Do not order a statement for the change of apartments until the change appears certain. You will be sent instructions for ordering the statement together with the tentative housing offer. This is the procedure regardless of whether you are exchanging apartments, moving to a newly built building or switching to an apartment that is becoming available.
The statement is subject to a fee and valid for one year.
After a tentative offer has been received, both the tenant who received the offer and Heka’s staff must act quickly. The tenant must order a statement without delay after receiving the offer. Heka must conduct an apartment inspection and prepare the actual statement quickly in order for the completed statement to be delivered to the housing services within three weekdays of the receipt of the offer. The process of conducting the inspection and writing and forwarding the statement usually takes more than one business day.
If it is noted during apartment inspections that there are significant deficiencies in the apartment’s condition, a favourable statement cannot be made for the change of apartments. This leads to the change of apartments not going through. Because of this, it is important for the tenant to try and rectify any damage or deficiencies caused by the tenant to the apartment during their tenancy before the inspection. When checking the condition of your own apartment, you should refer to the apartment condition checklist for Heka tenants.
Apartment checklist for the tenant
The condition of the apartment is always checked at the end of the tenancy. The tenant is not responsible for the normal wear and tear of the apartment. However, the tenant will have to compensate for any damage caused intentionally or through negligence.
If the apartment inspection reveals that the apartment has defects or deficiencies caused by the tenant themselves, this may lead to an obligation to compensate or, in the case of an apartment change, inability to carry out the apartment change.
Before the apartment inspection, you should go over the condition of the apartment yourself:
- You have not had any alterations done to your apartment without the permission of the Heka regional office.
- Your apartment does not contain so much property as to endanger fire safety.
- The toilet bowl and sink are intact.
- The cabinet doors are intact and firmly in place.
- The internal doors of your apartment and their frames are in place.
- The floor surfaces are intact.
- The fire alarms are in place.
- The windows and balcony glazing are in good condition.
- The refrigerator, freezer and cooker are intact, and you still have all their accessories.
- The sockets, switches and light fixtures are intact and functional.
- Your apartment is in a tidy condition.
Agreeing on a change of apartments
If the change of apartments can go through, you will be informed of this primarily by e-mail. You will be notified of the due date by which you must sign a rental agreement for the new apartment. The agreements must be signed by the last day of the current calendar month.
In a mutual exchange, it is recommended that the exchange partners come to the regional office at the same time for the termination of their current rental agreements and signing of new ones. You should make an appointment for this via the customer service department. Rental agreements can also be signed electronically. If necessary, a party to the agreement can also be represented on site with a power of attorney. Terminations and new agreements must be signed at a regional office or regional offices within the same calendar month. In mutual apartment exchanges, the apartments are not renovated in conjunction with the exchange; instead, the exchange partners accept each other’s apartments in the condition they are in at the moment of the exchange.
Once the rental agreement to the exchange apartment has been signed, the exchange cannot be cancelled.